We pride ourselves on being able to provide state of the art surgical care and expertise. All of our very experienced veterinary team perform routine operations and surgical investigations. Since our surgeon Carl McAuliffe joined the practice in early 2008 we are now able to perform a wide range of advanced orthopaedic, spinal and advanced soft tissue surgical procedures. We have expanded and significantly developed and invested in our surgical facilities and advanced surgical equipment.
Our Surgical facilities include:
- A brand new dedicated and fully equipped sterile surgical theatre, which reserved for advanced surgery. This is complimented by a new prep-room and routine operating and surgical scrub facilities.
- The very latest and powerful 110,000-lux surgical operating theatre lights.
- Electrocautery/Diathermy for coagulation of small blood vessels and for cutting through soft tissues. This significantly reduces blood loss and operating time spent ligating small blood vessels.
- The complete range of orthopaedic equipment and implants (ASIF) for plating fractures in any size of patient, from Chihuahua or cat to Great Dane.
- State of the art IMEX external skeletal fixation system. This allows us to apply a complex framework of orthopaedic implants (Linear, Hybrid or Circular), when needed and again to any size of patient.
- Using the latest advances in technology and equipment we can perform Tibial Plateau Levelling Osteotomy (TPLO) on dogs that have ruptured the cranial cruciate ligament (CrCL) in one of their stifles (knees).
- We are fully equipped for myelography, spinal surgery (ventral slot, laminectomy &haemi/mini- laminectomy) and the post-operative care and physiotherapy of spinal patients
- All general orthopaedic equipment for more routine or simpler operations such as, Intra-medullary pinning in some fractures.
- Lateral Flabellar technique for CrCL rupture.
- Oscillating saw for osteotomies and ostectomies.
- Surgical suction which is very helpful in abdominal and spinal surgery.
Surgical procedures available at the Animal Care hospital
- Neutering of male and female cats, dogs, rabbits, ferrets, guinea pigs & rats
- Caesarean section in pets unable to give birth naturally.
- Repair and treatment of skin wounds and lacerations or bites.
- Growths, warts and small tumour biopsy or removal.
- Hernia repair.
- Problematic dewclaw removal.
- Dental surgery. (Primary teeth removal, extraction of decayed teeth, removal of epuli).
Non-routine/advanced Soft tissue surgery performed here at the ACH:
- Abdominal/Gastrointestinal surgery
- Exploratory Laparotomy
- Biopsy of abdominal viscera
- Diaphragmatic hernia repair.
- Extra-Hepatic Porto-systemic Shunt surgery
- Gastrointestinal foreign body removal
- Intestinal resection & anastomosis
- Gastrotomy, enterotomy, colostomy.
- Gastrotomy & enterotomy feeding tube placement.
- Pyloric outflow surgery
- Hepatobiliary surgery
- Gastric Dilation Volvulus (Belt loop gastropexy or Tube gastropexy if required)
- Intussusception surgey
- Sub-total colectomy (Mega Colon surgery in Cats)
- Colopexy (chronic rectal propalse)
- Rectal pull through (rectal tumour/polyp surgery)
- Perineal hernia repair
- Anal gland removal
- Onocological surgery in the abdomen (tumour removal)
- Bladder resection for tumour removal
- Eptopic ureter surgery
- Prostatic ometalisation (prostatic cyst/abcess)
- Perineal urethrostomy (chronic urethral blockage in male cats)
Animal Care Hospital Douglas Vets in Cork